Whew, that’s a toughie… there are so many great one liners that it’s a crime to only mention 10 here. But you have to do what you have to. So here goes!
1. “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!” I hardly need to mention where this is from! Rhett Butler’s last words to Scarlett form one of Hollywood’s biggest hits ever, Gone with the Wind. All his contempt for her selfish ways finally come to the fore and she realizes how alone she would be without him. Classic climax.
2. Casablanca. The 1942 hit starring the suave Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine had many lines that became famous. But none as much as “Here’s looking at you, kid”, in his deep baritone.
3. “When you’ve to shoot, shoot, don’t talk.” From The Good, the Bad and The Ugly. Eli Walach is Tuco Ramirez, ‘The Ugly’, an unscrupulous, foul mouthed outlaw. While he’s enjoying a bath, a bounty hunter who lost his right arm in a gun fight with Tuco enters, seeking revenge. He gloats at having found Tuco in a ‘weak’ position, and keeps rambling how he has practiced firing with his left hand and how fast he has become. Tuco calmly sips out a revolver from the tub and shoots him dead, and utters these famous words. Priceless.
4. “The name’s Bond. James Bond.” An immortal line in 007’s movies. More than the actual words, the delivery is what makes it so exciting, whether it’s Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig who said it. You just know some gripping action is round the corner! And I must mention his ‘Martini. Shaken, not stirred’, as well!
5. “Show me the Money” From Jerry Maguire. Tom Cruise is the Sports agent who wants to do things ‘differently’ and his star (and only client) footballer, Cuba Gooding junior, tests him on a long telephone conversation, where he says the famous words. The film had a couple of memorable lines more: when Maguire goes to reconcile with his wife (Renee Zellweger) and declares his love for her in front of a group of disgruntled women, ending with “You complete me”, to which she replies, “You had me at hello”.
6. “I’ll be back” Who can ever forget this crisp line from The Terminator? Arnold Schwarzenegger in his robot outfit, delivering this line in a deep monotone, is one of the most enduring images from Hollywood action flicks.
7. “Houston, we have a problem” Softly spoken by the commander of the ill fated Apollo 13 mission (Tom Hanks as astronaut Jim Lovell) hardly portraying the magnitude of the peril. An on board explosion that takes place when they are on their way, depletes their oxygen and electric power, Lowell makes contact with mission control with these immortal words.
8. “I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse” Don Corleone’s famous quote from ‘The Godfather’. It had several great one liners that had movie audiences glued to the screen.
9. “Say Hello to my little friend” an Al Pacino (he plays Tony Montana) classic from ‘Scarface’, just before he starts shooting at his foes. What a way to warn people you’re going to kill them!
10. “With great Power comes great responsibility” One of the last words uncle Ben says to young Peter Parker before he comes the web crawling hero adored by the masses. Very relevant for the young generation in these troubled times.