Is it cruel to love to hate the Kardashians? Certainly not, in fact they're probably "banking" on it, pun intended. While they have their followers, they have their detractors who are just as easily persuaded to watch Kim, Khloe, and Kourtney prance around in a setting as fake as stepdad Bruce Jenner's face enhancement surgery.
As long as there are deceptive camera angles, airbrushing, and CGI to enhance the sisters they will always be with us, letting us know they have problems most of us can only dream about in our 99% world, while they bemoan the fact they're cursed to be in the 1%.
You may be saying, "Can't you say anything good about the 21st century version of "Petticoat Junction?" The answer is "Yes" there is lots to love about the Kardashians, so let’s list 5 reasons we LOVE to hate them.
1. Would they really be in a position to possess reality heaven if their farther, Robert, hadn't been one of the lawyers to get O.J. off of a murder conviction?
He's the one who looks like Pepe LePew with the white streak through the front of his hair, looking shocked when Simpson was pronounced "not guilty." Why not love to hate the fact that they are really just an average rich family who zoomed to the top due to a sex tape and a maladjusted rich temperament most of us can't relate to.
2. While many of us admit to getting down and dirty with the hi-jinks of "Jersey Shore," because it makes us feel better about ourselves, how can we possibly feel better about ourselves when we're shown constantly that money will make it all better?
We love to hate them because they were rich before they had a show and now they're even richer. Sure they're trashy, but their rich trashy.
3. We know the show is contrived, like most reality shows, meaning they will keep shooting scenes over and over until they get it right, so we might as well watch more entertaining fiction like, "Castle," or "Burn Notice," or even "Dexter" reruns until his next season.
And speaking of Dexter, wouldn't you love to see him give the family one of his plastic sheet makeovers in one of their expensively decorated rooms? Think of the ratings! We love to hate them because we know it's all contrived, wrapped with a bow calling itself reality.
4. There's no arguing they are successful with at least three spinoff shows, "Khourtney and Khloe Take Miami," "Kourtney and Kim Take New York," and "Khloe and Lamar."
All these shows make us sit in front of our television, computer, or smart phone and watch constantly to see all the hi-jinxs and we feel guilty about it. When are they going to finally present the spin-off we're all looking for, "Bruce and Kris Hire a Hitman." Wouldn't it be fun to watch him following the sisters around and then we find out that the hitman is Kim's newly emancipated ex, Kris Humphries. Therefore we love to hate them for making us feel so guilty for wasting time watching all these different Kardashian escapades.
5. Finally, the next season of their shows will still hook us no matter how much we love to hate them.
We'll sit in front of the boob tube or DVR them for a Kardashian marathon, then show up at work the next day worn out, still laughing at those cuddly millionaires who might as well end each show standing out front of one of their mansions waving at us as they say, "Ya'll came back now hear."
Sam is an entertainment blogger who loves everything about L.A. From the los angeles deal of the day to the latest Hollywood scandal, he is hooked!